Tuesday 14 August 2007

Beginnings and Endings and Some Things Go On Forever

I started my spinal conditioning class with the physios at St George’s in Tooting this morning. All the exercises were familiar from previous gym or physio sessions so they weren’t a shock but they still stretched me a bit, even though I was doing the ‘starter’ easy versions of the exercises. It’s nice to finally start that phase of my long and boring recuperation.

After the phsyio class I headed into town to see my surgeon at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital for my follow-up consultation. I got there a bit early so had a little wander round, re-visiting the Holy Flying Mackerel outside my previous ward and the operating theatre on the fifth floor to say goodbye since I didn’t expect to be back.

When my time came I had a short chat with the surgeon about the bits of disc still in my back which, he said, would be eaten up like Pacman over the next 18 months. The rest of it is just a case of getting over the operation and back to normal. So much disc was removed that I’m always going to have back problems so I need to do what I can to prevent further problems, losing more weight, possibly taking up pilates and staying fit.

While we were talking my SLADE badge fell onto the floor which I effortlessly bent over to pick up, something I wouldn’t have been able to do a few weeks back. That reminded the surgeon that ‘Cum On Feel The Noize’ was the first single he ever bought when he was 7 years old. So. It seems the Lords of Noize were watching over me all along...

I thanked him for his help while I needed treatment and, as he said, the rest is up to me. And I left the hospital for the last time. It was a strange departure in a way and a bit emotional which is odd since I have no ties there at all and, with the exception of the surgeon, my treatment there was very poor. Walking back to the tube I decided I'd send the surgeon a thank you present - I'll burn 'Cum On Feel The Noize' along with 'I'm Mee, I'm Now And That's Orl' (the 'B' side of the single) and send it to him. He's given me the gift of a normalish life again so the least I can do is give him the gift of Noize.

After that I decided I deserved a treat so got the tube along to the National Portrait Gallery to see the 'Devotional' exhibition, all contained within one small room. And there was the portrait of Poly Styrene by Pennie Smith right beside the door, next to Millie Small and underneath Linda Lewis. I saw the portrait last November in the NPG archives since it wasn't on public display so it was nice to see it on the walls, all proper-like.

There are two 'big' exhibitions at the NPG at the moment, one is the annual portrait award and the other is 'Daily Encounters' about photo-journalism. I didn't go to either exhibition but had to chuckle at the poster outside on the railings advertising it - the Sex Pistols! 30 years on and the Pistols are still a draw! I wonder if they know about this exhibition? Needless to say, I bought the card with that photo of the Pistols, all nice and clearly reproduced.

No comments: