Tuesday 19 December 2006

Nearly Christmas Bag

What's in the bag this evening, I wonder...

Bad Idea Bears

What an inspired creation the Bad Idea Bears are - I want one! Yes, we went to see the gloriously vulgar 'Avenue Q' tonight, with fuzzy puppets having graphic sex, talking about masturbation and racism, and the ever-helpful Bad Idea Bears pointing out that it's more economical to buy a case of beer than buy a six-pack, finding a nice noose to hang yourself with just when you're feeling down and serving absinthe dakaries to young lovers. I *need* a Bad Idea Bear ... oops! I've got one!

That's the third time we've seen it and I wouldn't mind another trip next year - it's good laugh-out-loud fun and the actors are merrily ad libbing now that they've been in the roles for a while. It has good merchandise as well, with 'I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today' tee shirts and badges, 'It Sucks To Be Me' badges (different to the one I got on Broadway) and goodness knows what else. I swear that Lucy The Slut winked at me...


Lord Buddha Is Empowered

An early Christmas present is a Buddha image lamp. A green one. Lord Buddha is now glowing at me. It is about 12" tall and is an image of Lord Buddha in a classic meditation pose. I have quite a few Buddha images scattered around the flat in a number of poses - mainly meditation or 'subduing Mara' poses - but none of them glow at me. Until now.

Equal Opportunities Santa

And just to show I'm an equal opps kinda guy, even with images, here's a pic of my formerly popcorn-filled Santa from Radio City Music Hall with a box of Mars bars on his head. Ho ho ho!

Work

Today was my last day at work and I'm a crap colleague and boss - no Christmas cards handed out, no sweets bought, no glass of Christmas cheer in the afternoon. I am bad. My last day was spent in meetings between about 11am and 6.00pm (with the only opportunity for a quick sandwich from the canteen being ending one meeting early and starting the next slightly late). That's no way to work, especially in the week before Christmas so I need to get that under control next year and, once we've got the second week of January out the way, we ought to go out for an extended lunch or something.

December and early January are always ridiculously busy since we have two big events in the second week of January. Starting on the Sunday with our international seminar for overseas education ministers, Moving Young Minds, that runs from Sunday to Wednesday, and then the BETT exhibition from Wednesday to Saturday (British Educational Training and Technology show). What a painful way to start the year. One of my meetings this afternoon was to view some video clips we've commissioned to show at BETT - thankfully they're very good so can go forward with a little bit of re-editing but I've cancelled the booklet that would have accompanied the videos since the designs weren't very good and it would take too much work by my people and me to get the product right. We have enough rods without creating more for our weary backs.

Of course, even though today was my last day at work I still need to do a submission to ministers tomorrow about an idea I've got for an announcement at BETT and lots of work next year. The joys of my job are unbounded!

Downside Up

I finally got around to getting the Siouxsie and The Banshees 'B' side box-set, 'Downside Up' and what an interesting listen it is. Some of the early 'B' sides I'm familiar with (even if I haven't heard them in an age) but most of the set is new to me. They didn't just put album tracks on 'B' sides, they did new songs or, occasionally, covers (such as '20th Century Boy' and 'All Tomorrow's Parties'). I think I'll need to listen to it a few times more to fully appreciate it but I'm pleased I've got it.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

three times? in which case i need to get a move on, and see it for the fourth time.