Monday 11 December 2006

Fatty Lipid Boy

Huh. And you all thought I was making up my fatso disease for sympathy. 'Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease' was the diagnosis - an odd name for a disease, or maybe it doesn't yet have a name but the obesity stakes mean it probably will have one in the not too distant future. Then I came across this article on the BBC News website and imaging my joy - it's not just me after all!

There's 'good' fat as well as 'bad' fat and, as anyone who read my blog over the summer will know, the proper word for internal fat is lipid. My blood tests showed problems with my liver and pancreas (the doctors seem to have forgotten about my pancreas so I'm keeping quiet) and that all came down to bad lipids. Bad lipids, naughty lipids, lipids suck.

The article talks about fat surrounding key organs but, in my case, I'm rather more special and select since the organs absorb the fat, that then affects their functioning and, longer-term can lead to all sorts of internal scarring and failure, leading to cirrhosis and bye-bye-end-of-blog. According to my consultant this doesn't happen very often so I'm a rare creature indeed... although I'd much rather be bog standard ordinary in that respect. Without wishing ill on anyone, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. And in the latest letter from The Liver Doc he called me a "pleasant gentleman" - ha! got him fooled then!

And please, medical profession, please come up with a better name for it than 'fatty liver disease'. I'm embarrassed to have something called that.

No comments: