Thursday 7 December 2006

Come On Feel The Illinoise

I just *had* to blog about my new favourite record when it has a title like that.

'Come On Feel The Illinoise' by Sufjan Stevens is a lovely record. I'm not quite sure how to describe it and I don't think I can do it justice - singer-song-writery but with punch? nu-electric-folk? aural sketches with attitude? I don't know, but I like what I hear.

I discovered him through his Christmas boxset, 'Songs For Christmas,' that's being promoted on iTunes (it's much cheaper to buy the set than to download it). Some of those songs are just fab. Favourites are 'Get Behind Me, Santa!', 'Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time!', 'Come On! Let's Boogey To The Elf Dance!' and 'That Was The Worst Christmas Ever!'. I like his strategic use of exclamation marks. The set also comes with a sing-along booklet, stickers and goodness knows what else. The album can be streamed from the Asthmatic Kitty website.

I need to hear more of his music.

I also like that his brother is called Marzuki and his sister is Djohariah - I approve of the names.

No comments: