Wednesday 27 August 2014

Kate Bush Night on BBC4

That woman. Yes, I watched the programmes about Kate Bush on BBC4 on Friday as the prelude to her live shows in London and yes, I'm astonished all over again. I remember her first single, 'Wuthering Heights' in 1978 and bought her first album, 'The Kick Inside'. And every album since then. Well, it's the law isn't it?

I loved that the program started with Viv Albertine and John Lydon talking about Kate, two punk heroes talking about this strange creature who wasn't punk but wasn't, well, anything really. Kate was and is her own brand. Bat for Lashes and St Vincent, Neil Gaiman and Tori Amos all talking about Kate was great and not a single word from Kate herself. Her live shows started at Hammersmith last night and that makes all the difference. I've got tickets to see her on 5 September and I can't wait.

The reviews have been fabulous and the show sounds spectacular. She graced the front pages of all the nationals this morning and was in the TV and radio news on the hour. All of her albums are in the download charts. There's a lot of excitement around Kate and I can't wait to see her next week. The witch has woken!

No comments: