Tuesday 17 April 2012

'God Save The Queen' (Again)

There's a move afoot on Facebook to promote 'God Save The Queen' to No 1 in the singles chart over the Diamond Jubilee weekend. Part of me thinks, 'yeah, let's do it' and another part thinks, 'hold on, it's being issued by a big record label, not by the Pistols'. It's also not 1977.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since 1977 and that boat trip down the Thames that ended with arrests for playing a pop song outside Parliament. The world is a different place now. It also smacks of a campaign not to let the X-Factor Christmas single get to No 1 rather than a positive statement of discontent. That trivialises it, a song that is one of the most powerful sonic statements that fit the mood of a generation, any generation.

As Mr Lydon says on Army of One:

"I would like to very strongly distance myself from the recent stories and campaign to push God Save The Queen for the number 1 spot over the Jubilee weekend. It is certainly not my personal plan or aim.

I am proud of what The Sex Pistols achieved and always will be but this campaign totally undermines what The Sex Pistols stood for. This is not my campaign.

I am pleased that the The Sex Pistols recordings are being put out there for a new generation however I wish for no part in the circus that is being built up around it. I am currently very focused on Public Image Ltd."

John Lydon, April 17th 2012

From my point of view, I'm pleased he's focused on the new PiL album and tour.  It sort of puts two fingers up to people that accuse JL of cashing in via things like 'I'm a Celebrity' and the butter adverts. If money was the object then a fast buck is probably more guaranteed through the re-release of 'God Save The Queen' worldwide but JL's focus is PiL and artistic integrity.

I'll certainly be playing the Sex Pistols as much as ever, but I'm looking forward to 'This Is PiL' and the new music.


No comments: