Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Big Polo Mint 2

I've had a few magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans over the years and today I had another one. The worst one yet. They're always a bit claustrophobic but this time I was pressed against the mint rather than close to it - I'm a bit fatter than I was last time!

It was so bad that I squeezed the panic button after less than a minute in the machine and was slowly eased out of the thing. The scanner bloke told me I was shaking. I was. And sweating. I took some deep breaths and went back inside for another 5-6 scans over 15 minutes. I can't remember too well since I was focusing on other thoughts and on the new Amanda Palmer album I knew was waiting for me at home.

I was then eased out of the machine and injected with dye into the back of my hand to make soft and hard tissue easier to identify and put back in for another five minutes...

MRI scanners are loud and scary.  About five feet long and you're pushed inside on a moveable bed so you're trapped inside the thing. That triggers the claustrophobia. There must be a better way of seeing what's happening inside...

The results should be beamed to my doctor at some point next week so I will, hopefully, find out what's happening with my back.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Good luck with that. I had an MRI scan once - the machine didn't bother me but I hated the injection. (They ended up telling me what I knew already, ie arthritic hip.)