Friday 5 August 2011

Make Me 13 Again

It's always nice to see members of SLADE in the news again and there was a fun short interview with Sir Noddy Holder in the Mail Online today with the glorious title, 'Noddy Holder: People are genuinely disappointed if I'm not wearing platform shoes and a top hat with mirrors'.

Personally, I'd be gutted if he didn't have the hat... I've seen him in that hat, y'know.

Anyway, it's one of those short answer-lots-of-questions-quickly type of articles and it's quite fun. I like his answer to favourite film being 'Cabaret' - I remember him being on a Radio 1 programme back in 1973 called, I think, 'Brian Matthews My Top 12' on a Sunday when he chose Liza's 'Mein Herr' as one of his favourite songs. That's the first I'd ever heard of the film. He also chose 'Clean-up Woman' by Betty Wright and 'Speed King' by Deep Purple - how's that for memory?

The one disappointing answer is to the question:

The unqualified regret you wish you could amend...

That I can’t get the four members of Slade to be mates again. I got us together three years ago but it was a disaster and all the old grievances came out, like money and things that were said years ago. We’re in our 60s now and it’s sad we can’t laugh about our amazing 25 years together.

That is so disappointing. It's quite sad that they were together for 25 years and all that shared history is lost. I was listening to Jim Lea's live album today and at one point inbetween songs he says that in all those years he only spent two Christmas's at home because they were perpetually on the road.

This year should've been the year of the reunion. It's 40 years since their first hit and their first No. 1 and now is the time to celebrate, but it's not going to happen. 'SLADEST' is due to be reissued in September, re-mastered and with bonus tracks (including a previously unreleased studio version of 'Hear Me Calling') so that will have to keep us happy.

C'mon guys - Noddy, Jim, Dave and Don - try again, one more time. We need another live album and a live DVD and all the merch that goes with reunions. Get in your time machine and make me 13 again.

No comments: