Saturday 20 August 2011

"Blockbuster!" by Dave Thompson

I've just finished reading 'Blockbuster!' by Dave Thompson, the biography of Sweet. I've been reading it on and off over the past few weeks and it's been a revelation and a disappointment by turns.

Sweet were an early 70s band that had songs written for them by the Chinnichap partnership, some great songs and I think my first Sweet singles were either 'Co-Co- or 'Wigwam Bam' (I can't remember). But it's really their triumvirate of singles in 1973 that cement them in my favourite bands list with 'Hellraiser', 'Blockbuster' and the magnificent 'Ballroom Blitz'.

The book is a straight chronological narrative - this happened then this happened. It's full of long quotes from each of the four members of Sweet and it's great to read their views of the latest single or album, but that's also one of the disappointing aspects of the book - they all hated their early music or at least said they did and they don't come across as particularly likable. I, and many tens of thousands, loved their early singles. I sort of recall from the music press of the day that they wanted to be a 'serious' band, that they were more than a singles band, but it's quite disappointing to read them dismissing their early work. I think it's godlike and Brian Connolly had one of the great rock voices of the 70s.

Some of the hyperbole in the book just doesn't work. Portraying SLADE as Sweet rivals in 1973 just doesn't wash - SLADE ruled 1973 with three records going straight to No 1, something Sweet never managed.

Nothing seemed to work for Sweet, even when they had hits in America with songs they wrote themselves they seemed to conspire to ensure that things went wrong. A catalogue of disasters followed Sweet around and the descent of Brian into drink and drugs signalled the end. They just can't win. I wish I'd seen them play live back in the day but I didn't.

Brian Connolly, Steve Priest, Mick Tucker and Andy Scott - I salute you. Andy is still active - he co-wrote and produced Suzi Quatro's last (excellent) album and Steve lives in America. Unfortunately, both Brian and Mick have left us but the band still plays regularly on my iPod and their work lives on. "Blockbuster!" is a good reference book for Sweet fans, with lots of lists of tours and discographies and loads of photos.

"And the man at the back said everyone attack and it turned into a ballroom blitz!"


No comments: