Tuesday 16 August 2011

Mel & Sue's 'The Great British Bake Off'

I have just watched 'The Great British Bake Off' on BBC2 and decided I *love* baking.

Now, I'm not a foodie and have never baked in my life - food, to me, is fuel. Shovel it in as quickly as possible and then ignore it. This programme has changed my mind, all the things you can do with a cake mixture and some icing... And it's great to see Sue Perkins back with Mel Giedroyc - I actually started watching it because I'd seen that Sue was presenting without realising that Mel was involved as well. It also seems like it's been on before and this is a second (or third?) series.

This evening's show was a cake bake-off, with three tests: firstly a cup cake, then a Battenburg and then a layered cake. I would've eaten all of them except for the courgette cake (so disgusting). My favourite would've probably been the Guinness cupcake. I'm easily pleased.

What I can't quite understand is how a programme about baking has drawn me in. I don't recall my Mam doing much baking but my Dad was proud of his Yorkshire puddings. I do remember my Grandma baking and taking me down to Delafield's farm on a Wednesday afternoon (baking afternoon) to sample Mrs Delafield's baking (the farm has been a housing estate for over 30 years now). I preferred my Grandma's brown bread, cut into slices and slathered with real butter to make cheese and onion sandwiches while still warm .... yum! My Grandma could bake!

1 comment:

trump said...

Greetings everyone from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories.