Wednesday 16 February 2011

Viv Albertine Album

I received a really nice message from Viv Albertine today.

Viv, as I'm sure you know, was an original member of The Slits back in the day (the day, or the era, being the late 70s) and has recently started playing music again. She released an EP last year ('Flesh', available for download) and has an album in the pipeline for which she needs funds to finish off - see here for details of the pledges and the various goodies you can get. I've pledged so you should too.

It's a lovely message from Viv:

I am so excited that there is a way to finish my album without having to compromise anything about it, from the art work to the music to the lyrics.

As soon as money from some sort of organised body is involved, the investors feel they have a right to have a say and make suggestions.

It did not happen to us too much in The Slits because we were a very forceful gang and in a way, record companies did not have much experience with bands who had their own ideas. The industry was so taken by surprise by the ‘punk’ thing that we could say what we wanted and they had no clue if we were right or wrong. So we got away with it.

Because of the internet, it feels similar. Everyone taken by surprise again. I love that. I work best in that environment. And the fewer people having a say in your work, the better. It’s unadulterated.

So, thank you to everyone who has pledged. At first I was embarrassed to ask, but now I feel moved and privileged to have people around the world who believe that this album is worth supporting.

Viv has also posted a short video of herself in a Sid Vicious leather jacket telling a story about the old days ... a cute boy indeed!

After I read the message I had a short meander round my mind about exactly why I pledged money to help Viv finish her record. I think there are a few reasons:

1. I never saw The Slits back in the 70s and am unlikely to see them now that Ari Up has left the gig early. But I still relish their early songs that I taped from the John Peel show in about 1978 and are on their first album 'Cut'.

2. I accidentally came across Viv before Christmas when I was searching for new Christmas songs and found and downloaded her 'Flesh' EP from last year, which I like.

3. Most strangely, I think it's my job to support artists rather than download their work for free. I've blogged before about the deal I have with artists - it's their job to tell me about new records and tours and it's my job to buy tickets and records. Amanda Palmer has taken this to the utmost degree with asking fans to give her food and lodgings on tour and I'd be most happy to do so. So there's no difference with me pledging money I'd be happy to spend buying a record from Linda Thompson or from Viv Albertine - I'd buy the record anyway so I might as well pay up front to help make it.

4. And Viv is a punk original so, as a fan from way back when, it's my job to support her. And I do and will. She's earned it the hard way and music wouldn't be the way it is today without her contribution all those years ago. We may be getting on but we can still be punks! I just might not pogo so energetically these days...

I'm really looking forward to Viv's record. Go on, download her EP and then pledge some money to help her finish her album. She deserves money if only because of the line 'I love Marc Bolan because of all his curls' in 'Never Come' - how true!

No comments: