Monday 18 May 2009

Siouxsie at HMV - 'Finale'

Siouxsie's DVD of her final 'Mantaray & More Tour' gig was issued today - 'Finale' - so I had to go to HMV on Oxford Street this evening to get a copy signed by the lady herself.

Naturally, when I need to get somewhere in a hurry, London turns against me. This time it was Parliament Square and Whitehall shut to traffic, and full of police and protesters - I didn't see what the protest was about but assume it was the pro-Tamil protesters that have been there on and off for the last few weeks. I can't blame them for being there, given what's happening, and more power to the protester these days, but it doesn't half affect a fanboy on a mission.

Anyway, I made it to HMV just in time to grab the almost-last place in the queue before the security bods in black started directing people into a second queue (and consequently, a longer wait). Nattering aimlessly with Chris while we waited and then suddenly, she was there, a vision of red lipstick and black hair quite a way away on the stage at the back of the shop, but that was definitely Siouxsie. It took a while for the queue to start moving, but once it started we moved closer quite quickly and then were standing on the stage with DVD and free small poster ready to be signed, a smile flashed and a thank you and off...

While waiting we'd discussed what we'd say to Siouxsie - after all, how many times do you have a few seconds to speak to a great hero and legend? I decided I'd ask whether The Creatures back catalogue was going to be remastered and re-issued - after all, The Banshees albums are gradually being re-issued. Of course, when confronted by Herself, all smiles and gracious thank you's for me saying I really enjoyed her shows last year, I totally forgot to ask my question. Drat.

The DVD is of her last show at Koko last September, the gig I didn't see since I'd only just come out of hospital and there was no way I was going to risk my back at Koko. I haven't watched it yet but there are costume changes and more Banshees songs than at the other gigs, so I expect it to be fab. I saw Siouxsie at the Astoria 2 gig, at The Roundhouse and at Shepherd's Bush. Now I've got the DVD to enjoy during the likely long wait for the next album and shows. Siouxsie is worth waiting for.

No comments: