Monday 4 May 2009

New York Dolls - 'Cause I Sez So

The new New York Dolls long player, ''Cause I Sez So', came out today so any trip into town had to include a visit to HMV to pick it up and a lovely chunk of plastic it is too. On the front is a sticker with a quote from David Johansen that says, 'It was amazing working with Todd again, and I think we were able to evoke the special sound of our first album and drag it by the hair into the present.' And how right he is.

The album is produced by Todd Rundgren, who produced the Dolls' first album, and it has that same kind of almost-live vibe going on. This album seems, on a first listen, to be a bit more immediate than the last album, 'One Day...' (yes, it's *that* good), and that was a great record and a grower. I think this one will be a grower as well so I'll play it a few more times before I decide on favourite songs.

One of the things I love about the Dolls is David's voice - he's got a great rock/blues voice, full of expression. The guitars all seem individualised, a bit like a good curry when you can taste each individual ingredient and spice as well as enjoy the overall curry flavour. A lovely feast topped off with David's very original lyrics.

Go out and buy it (or download it) and enjoy!

No comments: