Friday 24 April 2009

Purple God Music

For some reason, Prince rarely seems to pop up when I put my iPod on shuffle so, today, I thought I'd have a Prince day on my way to and from work. I plug my Ipod into my ears and live in my own little world while wending my way through the rush hour crowds of central London. And today I was accompanied by the transcendental entity known as Prince.

I now understand why my iPod pixie chooses not to spin many Prince records when he does the shuffle. The pixie is obviously very moral and Prince is, not to put too fine a point on it, a sex-mad beast. I heard 25 or so songs today and all, yes all, were about sex or love in it's sex incarnation. Now, I know Prince has written songs about other things, but they didn't pop up today. Just sex and more SEX.

I was thinking, 'Hey Prince, cool it mate, I'm in public here, y'know, tone it down a little'. And did he? No. He sang about doing... then about doing this .... then moving onto.... then he... and then finishing with a cigarette.... Phew! I was exhausted just listening. Anyone got a spare ciggie?

My favourite songs today were 'The Continental' and 'Guitar' - I feel positively spurned when he sings, 'I love you baby, but not like I love my guitar'.

No comments: