Tuesday 28 April 2009

David Benson in Frankie Howerd

Tonight I went to see David Benson in his show, 'To Be Frank - Frankie Howerd and the Secret of Happiness'. I didn't find the secret of happiness but I had an amusing evening out.

I saw David's Kenneth William's show last year and enjoyed it so thought I'd see his take on Francis. The first half of the show was David explaining where the show came from which, in a way, was a career retrospective, telling how he needs a connection to his subject matter and his journey to find the script for a sketch Frankie only did for one week back in 1961 or thereabouts and then dropped it. I don't understand why it had to be that particular sketch, but that doesn't really matter, it's the journey through the comedy greats of yesteryear that matters as David drops all the old school comedy names he can think of, including Eric Sykes, someone I haven't thought of in years.

He then evens it out by recounting his career as being in the major league ten years ago to Graham Norton's minor league and look how their respective careers have turned out. Bitterness? O no, he just goes on an imaginery killing spree... The second half of the show (which is much shorter) is a recreation of the Frankie Howerd sketch he went in search of in which David reveals himself to be the mightly Lurcio from 'Up Pompeii' and does lots of double-entendres, shows off his legs and ends with a song 'n' dance.

This performance was, as we were told, only the second time he's ever performed the show in London and I'm pleased I saw it. It's not as finely honed as his Kenneth Williams show but, then again, it wouldn't be since he toured that show for over 2 years ending up in the West End, but it was still very enjoyable. I got a biography of Frankie at Christmas that is in the pile waiting to be read so this show gives me a few hints at which bits to pay attention to. David returns next week in his Noel Coward show so I think I'll turn up to that one as well.

And congratulations to Right Nasty Productions Inc for an enjoyable night out.

No comments: