Wednesday 26 November 2008

Woolworths

Sad news of the downfall of Woolworths, or Woolies as it's known everywhere. There's a large branch up the road from me on the High Road. Woolies doesn't pretend to be classy or upmarket, it knows it's market but that hasn't been enough to save it. It's very handy for little household goods - cheap glasses or bowls (both bought recently), things like christmas lights and sink plugs, and, of course, sweets (not bought recently). It seems like the epitome of 'stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap'.

One of my earliest memories is of a visit to Blaydon with my Grandma when I was about 5-6, and a trip to Woolies. I don't remember much, just that there were wooden counters everywhere (pre-self-service), goods stacked high and an overall impression of brown. The centre of Blaydon was completely demolished in the early 70s and a shopping centre was built, so the maze of little roads and streets vanished. I can't remember what Blaydon was like very well at all, but I still recall going into a dim and brown Woolies with my Grandma. The branch didn't re-open in the new shopping centre so it never returned to Blaydon.

Click on the picture to visit the virtual museum:

2 comments:

redhairedqueer said...

Now I feel guilty about all that pick n mix I nicked as a kid ...

Michael Coscia said...

I remember Woolworths in Massachusetts back when I was growing up. They were famous for their diner/counter where you could get a sandwich or an ice cream sundae. Thanks for bringing back the memory.