Sunday 10 August 2008

Beijing Olympics 2008

I think I'm an addict. No sooner did I watch the opening ceremony online yesterday than I find my telly seems to be glued to the Olympic channels. The telly has been on most of today. I've watched the girl gymnasts (I think I prefer the girls to the lads - the girls demonstrate skill, the lads is about strength), the girl 3m synchronised diving (a sport I didn't know existed), the roadrace cycling and am now watching the 49ers boat race...

I usually become addicted in the second week of the 'lympics, but maybe it's because, with digital telly, I can now choose which sport to watch? I'm enjoying the outdoor sports at the moment since it gives me a glimpse of the Chinese countryside. I've always wanted to go to China but not done so - so far.

Earlier on this evening there was a series of clips of great Olympians of the past from the '70s and early '80s, up to Daly Thompson. They were all so familiar and it's odd to think of the years passing. The early '80s when GB ruled middle distance running and Seb Coe and Steve Cram are still around in different guises, but whatever happened to Steve Ovett? Mind you, I remember David Hemery from Mexico 1968 and Mary Peters from Munich 1972. It's strange how things stick in the mind. I'm looking forward to seeing Dame Kelly Holmes over the next couple of weeks - her winning twice in Athens 2004 still brings a tear to the eye.

No comments: