Monday 18 August 2008

Alela Diane at The Roundhouse

Another trek up to Chalk Farm to the Roundhouse to see Alela Diane. I only found out she was playing a week or so ago so snapped up tickets straight away. I saw her for the first time last summer at the Luminaire in Kilburn - the Roundhouse is much bigger even though it had curtains hanging between the columns to make it a smaller space, tables laid out and a few levels of tiered seating.

The opening band was The Cave Singers from, I think, Seatle. A singer who played various instruments, a guitarist and a drummer and they made an interesting sound. The problem was that I couldn't make out a word of the lyrics so I've no idea what they were singing about. Still, they were an interesting opener.

I was quite taken with all the lights, the star-curtain and even (gasp) two mirror-balls! I think this show was part of a series, hence the decor but it's quite fun to see someone like Alela in these surroundings. She even dressed up for the event in what looked like a black frock rather than the country-floral I was expecting.

Alela came on, put her set-list down and picked up her guitar before the lighting bloke noticed and shone the spotlight on her. She opened with 'Clickity Clack', just her on stage, voice and guitar. A couple of songs later her Dad joined her on stage to play guitar and then a few songs further on they were joined by another guitarist followed a song or two later by a drummer. Alela has a band! The album is accoustic and so was she when I saw her last year so it was a surprise to hear some of those familiar songs with a band behind them. And it worked. Alela has a nice stage presence but she does just stand there and strum and sing so it was a good addition to have the combined sound of more guitars and drums behind her, fleshing out her sketches with more layers of sound. I loved it and, in particular, the fully rounded sound of 'My Brambles'.

The setlist was made up mainly of tracks from 'The Pirate's Gospel' (yo ho ho!), some 'new' songs available in live accoustic versions from Daytrotter and two songs I'd never heard, 'The Cuckoo' (described as a traditional American folk song) and one other. Favourites tonight were the marvellous 'To Be Still', 'Oh My Mama', 'White As Diamonds', 'Pirates Gospel', 'Pieces Of String' and the firm favourites, 'The Rifle' and 'Dry Grass And Shadow'.

Alela's voice was in good form and she seemed to enjoy herself, which was nice to see. She's heading home to California in the next day or so and I hope that signals some time in the studio, We need another record. And then another show, of course. She's a very peaceful person to watch and listen to, with her voice and thoughtful lyrics, backed by a clear guitar sound. I'm pleased I managed to see her. And congratulations to Chris for surviving a folkie night!

No comments: