Friday 6 June 2008

Number 3

A year ago today I went into Chelsea & Westminster Hospital for a discectomy (slipped disc removal), went in today and had the operation the next day followed by a few days on my back with drips and my morphine machine. How pleasant. You can read all about it here if you like.

So, how did I celebrate this anniversary? I went to St George's Hospital to neurology outpatients for the latest instalment of my long running slipped disc saga. The doctor was in surgical blues which was a bit odd for a start but he showed me the scans of my insides from back in January and my slipped disc looks impressive. I was expecting to be patted on the head and sent away with 'come back when it's worse' ringing in my ears but no, that's not what he said. I have all the recognisable symptoms and need another operation to remove it and relieve pressure on the nerves. And this time he wants to remove small bits of bone from my spine to make sure there's enough room for the nerves to move properly - the procedure has a name but I can't remember it, it's all a bit of a blur. And I've done it again, I've believed the magical doctors because they know best... and my experience last year has taught me nothing! Where does this reverence and faith come from? I must strive harder to be stroppy.

Anyway, I should get an appointment for about 8-9 weeks time to have Operation Number 3 on my damned disc. At least this time it'll be closer to home, just a mile or so away in Tooting.

Poo.

No comments: