Thursday 10 April 2008

St Trinians

I have ventured into the Dark Side and acquired the soundtrack to 'St Trinians'. I watched the film on the plane to America a couple of weeks ago and it attached itself, limpet-like, to my brain.

Now, I love the original St Trinians films with Alistair Sim, they're great fun in an old skool, jolly hockey sticks, middle class way. I didn't see the 2007 re-make at the cinema - Rupert Everett in the Sim's role? impossible! - so thought I'd snigger at it on the plane. But I didn't snigger at it, I sniggered with it. It's great fun with every stereotype going, mercilessly taking the piss out of everything in a gentle way with their tongues placed firmly in their cheeks (ooer, missus).

The girls were wonderful and they played it quite nicely in the casting to avoid any dodginess, with the schoolgirls clearly being girls and the 6th form clearly being older than their supposed years so seeing them in gym slips and stuff wasn't too pervy. I'm not sure how Rupert Everett was playing it - he wasn't in drag or a panto dame, he seemed to be acting a woman, playing it straight, and that probably meant he missed a few laughs.

The soundtrack is great - pop-songs-a-gogo from the marvellous Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Lily Allen, Sophie Ellis-Bextor and more, plus two songs from the girls in the cast. Girls Aloud get two tracks and they're not too bad. I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs all the way through so maybe I should investigate more. There are a couple of lines in their 'theme' song that grate on me: "defenders of anarchy" and "we do as we damn well please", neither of which are in the St Trinians spirit at all. If you've got to tell people you'll do as you please then you've lost it, a real St Trinian would just do it. I would've liked to hear an update on the original St Trinians theme but that's not included in the film for some reason.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to brew some hooch, rob a train, visit a swanky nightclub and get back to skool in time for tiffin...


Can't wait for the DVD!

No comments: