Friday 4 April 2008

'Funplex' by The B52s

I didn't go on a spending spree while in New York but one thing I did get at the first opportunity was the new B52s album, 'Funplex', which isn't out here for another week or so.

If you like the B52s previous albums, you'll love this. It has all the ingredients you'll recognise, sounds fun and you just know that Kate and Cindy's arms are swinging up and down as they sing with big smiles plastered over their faces while Fred does his shouty thing. It's not just a rehash of earlier stuff but is a logical extension (if logic applies), lots of dance beats, lots of their version of pop with a smidgen of electronica, relentless music to smile to and sing to and move to. It keeps the toe tapping. It sounds right for 2008.

I didn't know there was a new album until I saw it in Virgin, Times Square, and realised I had to have it (plus it was only $10). They've just announced a show in Birmingham so hopefully this is the start of a tour to promote the new album.

Update: Courtesy of an alert from Ms Right Nasty, I have just booked to see the B52s at the Roundhouse on 24 July. How's that for up-to-the-minute blogging.

2 comments:

redhairedqueer said...

Glad to be of service.

I should point out I am jealous as all hell that you have the album. Their website suggested that it was released worldwide at the end of March, so I drove all the way to Bromley IN THE SNOW, only to find out I had to wait 2 weeks.

I was FUMING !!!!!!

Gareth said...

Is it them who have cancelled two previous tours as a result of being to scared to fly in case they get blown up?