Thursday 17 April 2008

Beth Rowley at Bush Hall

Tonight was the turn of Beth Rowley who was playing her very first headlining gig at Bush Hall in Shepherd's Bush and we had ticket numbers 6 and 7. We saw Beth last summer on the bill supporting Kiki Dee at the IndigO2 and I've watched her ever since. She has a marvellous voice, effortless and big, and her first album is due out in late May. A few songs are available to download from iTunes and available to listen to on her MySpace site.

Beth came on stage with a four-piece band and opened with 'Nobody's Fault But Mine', the lead track on her 'Violets' EP, and proceeded to play all the songs I knew (except 'Be My Baby') and new songs from the album. Favourites of mine are 'I Shall Be Released' and 'Oh My Life' and it was nice to see and hear Beth sing them. Most of the songs were bluesy, which Beth's voice is great for, but I can't help wondering what the market is for the blues these days. Mind you, the music biz is evolving and people can carve out very successful careers in niche markets so I don't think Beth need worry.

There was a slight feeling of this being a practice outing in preparation for the tour and the launch of the album and I was happy to be practised on. Beth has the voice - that's not up for question - but I'd like to see her take a bit more of the stage for herself - she's the star of the show and could be a bit more assertive. I'm sure that'll come in time and this tour is probably exactly what she needs.


If you get the chance go and see her and watch out for the album. There've been a few new 'girl singers' recently and I think Beth beats them all with her very versatile and powerful voice and good selection of songs. And I'm pleased to be able to say I was at her first headlining gig! Well done Beth!

No comments: