Wednesday 22 February 2006

Simone de Beauvoir or Alice Cooper?

I'm half-way through a biography of Simone de Beauvoir which tries to map her life against her development as a philosopher and writer including, of course, her relationship with Sartre. I read Sartre decades ago but she's been little more than a name really, an early feminist.

I'm up to where they both begin to detail existentialism in their writing, living the philosophy they gave birth to along with their extended family of lovers and friends. Choice, liberty, personal freedom, living, action, the now, existence. There's a lot of thinking to do to get that fixed in my mind. But it's a fascinating read.

On the other hand, I'm listening to my new Alice Cooper CD at the moment - he's much easier to understand! I wonder which one would win a Celebrity Death Match scrap?

2 comments:

chrisv said...

Bearing in mind Madame de Beauvoir has a big slab over her I think Alice could easily move into the next round....

Gareth said...

Never read any of her philosphy stuff, by as a pretentious student read three volumees of her autobiography.

Intellectually I went down hill after that.