Friday 24 February 2006

International Superstar DJ

Well, not quite, but I've done my first ever DJ set tonight as part of the 'Record Bag' at the Retro Bar. I tried it for the first time tonight and enjoyed it immensely - turn up with your 5 favourite tracks and do a mini DJ set.

It was Dawn Right Nasty's birthday bash tonight so I leapt in, full of nerves at first, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously, my set was the best...

Mine was all 1972 tracks, some of which people came up to me to ask who they were and were they generally available (I like to educate as well as entertain). The list was:

Buick MacKane - T Rex (The Slider)
New York City - John Lennon & Yoko Ono (Sometime in New York City)
Wig Wam Bam - Sweet (Funny How Sweet Coco Can Be)
The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff (Jimmy Cliff - Reggae Greats)
Mama Weer All Crazee Now - SLADE (Greatest Hits)

Well, I had to end with the Lords of Noize! I thought it was a nice collection of songs, all offering something different. I was surprisingly nervous (I've delivered speeches to a couple of hundred people before but this was a bit personal, it was my music) but soon got into it. Time fled too quickly and I could happily have played a few more tracks.

Luckily there was a good age mix at the Retro tonight so some people actually recognised some of the songs but the main point is that I did it! Fuelled by Guinness helped of course. I might have to do it again, maybe on a 1977 theme...

Watch this space...

Christopher also did a set - his included what I think are called wrappers. I'm familiar with those - they have them in Macy*s and they wrap up your Christmas tree ornaments very carefully in tissue paper and put them into secure boxes. Wrappers obviously have an important social function.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Oooooo there'll be no living with you now eh!

Well done on a debut that will have the drawing rooms of Bloomsbury talking.

Clapclapclapclap (just like the intro to Jet Boy by the NY Dolls)