Tuesday 21 February 2006

The nerves, the nerves

O dear, it's starting... the 'Record Bag' nerves.

I've been sort of planning my 15 minute DJ set for a year and a half with the theme of records from 1972. Not the obvious records - the Bowies and Lou Reeds - but maybe songs by bands people will recognise but not necssarily know that particular song. Educate the masses, kind of thing.

I picked 1972 as my 'theme'. Obviously, the theme could be anything - my 5 favourite powwow or SLADE tracks or 5 tracks featuring the word 'hello' somewhere in the song. I suspect some people will assume 1972 is a codeword for Glam Rock but it's not - a lot of my favourite Glam is from 1973 ('Ballroom Blitz, for example, one of the best songs ever recorded). 1972 offers lots of choices - should I play Blackfoot Sue or are they really too obscure? I don't know.

I need to narrow it down to 5 tracks and then play them to check for quiet starts or ends, false ends, etc and see how they gel together. Life's tough, indeed...

And on a lighter note, I've been bidding on eBay for a SLADE album that's no longer available in the shops and I won it and it arrived today - 'Rogues Gallery'. A great, under-rated album full of music to play loud. Which I have already done! Please ignore the cover ... they were in a hats phase...

No comments: