Wednesday 15 February 2006

"Did you know...?" Lambeth Homophobia Campaign

Commuters coming out of Streatham Hill BR station this evening were given a leaflet by police about homophobia and encouraging people to report incidents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you know...?
  • Lambeth has one of the most visible and vibrant Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) communities in the UK
  • On average someone is affected by LGBT hate crime at least every three days in Lambeth
  • LGBT people come from all backgrounds and reflect the diversity of the borough
  • Homophobia not only affects individuals but friendships, families, young people and communities."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It goes on to encourage reporting and provides a list of phone numbers and web addresses. It looks like it's been produced by a consortium of organisations including Lambeth Council and the police (9 organisations have their logo on it).

I've never received a leaflet like this at a train station before, handed out by police (I usually get home later than this so maybe I just miss campaigns targeted at the rush hour). It seems very encouraging - right on Lambeth!

I've got no idea whether all stations in Lambeth have been targeted by the police or whether there are particular problems at that end of Streatham warranting action but it might be part of Lambeth LGBT History Month

It's a long time since I've been 'right on' myself. I used to actively support lots of broadly left-ish causes - Amnesty, anti-racism/anti-nazi, Greenpeace, etc etc. I still regularly support Oxfam and passively support other organisations ... maybe it's time for me to re-engage my political tendencies?

No comments: