Tuesday 24 January 2006

Shake those Coconuts, girls!

This evening I have been introduced to the live delights of Kid Creole and the Coconuts by Chris and Dawn at the rather odd box of a building that is the Jazz Cafe at Camden. Onto the tiny stage, extended at both ends, trooped 8 musicians followed by 3 Coconuts and finally the Kid himself for an evening of fun, happy music, latin rhythms mixing with reggae and swing and everything inbetween - Alegria Alegria, happiness and joy!

The Coconuts shimmied across the stage move-perfect, responding to the Kid and sometimes taunting him, excellent foils to his brash man-of-the-world persona. And on the other side of the stage the three horn players were doing their own dance moves and blowing up a gale. What a loud band! Not just in terms of volume, but layers of music, dense, with lots of stuff just underneath the surface. How they all fit on that stage, did all those moves and danced round without falling into each other just screams lots of practice - that's one dedicated ensemble! And Bongo Eddie even played the bongos at one point! My only wish for the Coconuts was a bit more smiling (although that was probably part of the stage presence) and a bit more bazoomies up front! I also suspect they weren't natural blonds...

The Kid was excellent! I've never seen him live before and I'm so pleased I saw him and all the international band tonight. From his wonderfully colourful frock coated suits with a selection to tasteful hats to his overacting during the songs, all excellently presented and designed to show him, the Coconuts and the band in the best light - and it all worked, an incredibly professional performace and a joy to behold! All the songs were extended versions with their own dance routines and audience participation bits. A true showman and an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable show. I've boogied more tonight than I have in the last 6 months put together. And I want more!

As soon as I got in after the long treck from Camden I hunted out the greatest hits CD and bunged it in the machine to transfer onto the iPod - I'll start tomorrow with some happy, sunny music courtesy of the Kid and his Coconuts - you're a wonderful thing, baybee!!

1 comment:

redhairedqueer said...

Gah! You beat me to it by 6 minutes!!