Thursday 26 January 2006

Retail Therapy

I've been for some retail therapy this evening and it feels good. My new possessions are:

The Best of Kid Creole and The Coconuts - I already have a 'best of' but this is a different one with some songs on that I don't have so it's a good addition to the CD collection.

Missing Songs by Maximo Park (aka me Geordie lads) - this is a new CD of 'B' sides and demos. The awkward thing is that I downloaded 5 of the songs from iTunes the other day before I knew this album was availbale - drat! But it's excellent of course! Other than the CD case which was broken inside...

Some Time in New York City by John & Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band with Elephant's Memory - a very mixed album, this one, some killer tracks and some, um, not quite so killer! I got the vinyl in the mid-'70s and downloaded most of the tracks from various sources last year since it wasn't available on CD. Now it is available, so I got it! Oddly enough, I also noticed Lennon's 'Live Peace in Toronto' that I didn't realise was available on CD (I've got the vinyl of this as well).

The Motown Anthology by Kim Weston (aka Wor Kimmy) - a lost Motown goddess who had her double retrospective CD issued last year and I finally got it this evening. She generally turns up on Motown compilations but it's nice having 48 of her bestest tracks on one CD. Hoping to see her at the Jazz Cafe in 3 weeks time (not got tickets yet...).

Till Deaf Do Us Part by SLADE (aka The Lords of Noize) - an important addition to my collection, this CD is supposed to be discontinued and I haven't seen it in HMV (or anywhere) before so I snapped up the single copy on the shelves. I only have the album on download from iTunes so it's nice to have the 'proper' album. Unfortunately, the cover insert is a bit crap, but that's not the point.

Whenever I go to record shops I always try to check for SLADE and Buffy Sainte-Marie CDs - I popped down to the basement in HMV this evening to see whether there were any new Buffy's available (there are still 3 albums from the '70s not released on CD yet so you never know...). Sadly, there weren't any new 'uns.

I also got the Teenage Kicks DVD, a collection of videos from punk and related bands in the late '70s/early '80s - ah, memories!

I've been very good in controlling my credit card so far this year so it's nice to have a little splurge at last. Now, of course, I've got to listen/watch them all. I'm starting with Kid Creole with the volume turned up - what a class act!

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Don't do the back in doing those tropical shimmies!