Thursday 21 November 2019

Ballet Black at Stratford East

I saw Ballet Black dance at the Linbury Studio in the Royal Opera House and loved their dance, 'Ingoma' so when I saw they were doing it at Stratford East I had to get tickets. They were dancing a title bill and the first piece was a duet called 'Pendulum' followed by two ensemble pieces, 'Click' and 'Ingoma'.

'Pendulum' felt a bit too traditional for my tastes but I loved 'Click' with it's fast pace and dramatic costumes and lighting. Each dancer moving in a world of their own to a snap of the fingers in different coloured suits, sometimes alone, sometimes in pairs and other times as an ensemble. I thought it was greta fun and was incredibly effective.


'Ingoma' was a longer piece telling the tale of a miners strike in South Africa in 1946 and the choreography and performances were excellent but it highlighted the narrowness of the Stratford stage for dance pieces - they needed more space for this production. There is high drama in this piece with the bravery of the striking miners, the effect on their families and drawing them into the dispute. Great choreography and music, excellent dancing and lighting and an exhausting piece to watch. How can they keep up that intensity night after night.

I was mightily impressed by Ballet Black - I expected technical proficiency but the selection of dances and the different productions served to underline that they're a force to be reckoned with in dance circles. They're a small ensemble group so it's not really fair to single anyone out but I loved Isabella Coracy as the lead dancer in the yellow suit in 'Click' and Mthuthuzeli November's choreography was spectacular in 'Ingoma'. Someone to watch out for. Well done people! 

No comments: