Tuesday 11 August 2015

Buffy Sainte-Marie back in London

Buffy is in London even as I type. She's playing the Brooklyn Bowl at the O2 at Greenwich on Thursday and I'll be there (obv). She's also going to be on 'Woman's Hour' on Radio 4 tomorrow (Wednesday) so it'll be worth tuning in if you can (or iPlayer it if you can't).  I know it's a bit silly at my age to be getting excited about seeing Buffy - I'm hardly a teenager anymore but I do turn into fanboy where Buffy's concerned.

I listened to 'Power In The Blood' today (for the umpteenth time) to decide on which songs I really want to hear Buffy play on Thursday. I also remembered her post on Facebook the other day  to say that she's just re-recorded 'My Country Tis Of Thy People You're Dying' and I want to hear that. It's not a song Buffy usually plays so it'll be a great addition to her set.

Songs I'd love to hear from the latest album include 'Power in the Blood' (the title song), 'We Are Circling', 'Ke Sakihitin Awasis', 'Farm in the Middle of Nowhere', 'Sing Our Own Song' and 'Carry it On'. I'd love to hear the 'pop opera' of 'The Uranian War' but I doubt we'll get that. And I insist on the re-interpretations of '70s songs 'Generations' and 'Not The Loving Kind'. And, of course, everything else. So that's a six hours set Buffy - OK?

I love how Buffy has woven todays issues into her songs. Like in UB40's 'Sing Our Own Song' she's re-written it to include references to the #Occupy movement and #IdleNoMore and changed it entirely to speak to and about Native Americans.

Enjoy your time in London, Buffy, and I'll see you on Thursday!

No comments: