Tuesday 26 February 2013

A Typology of Snow

Most people who look at this blog know what snow is, that white stuff that falls from the sky when it's cold. But have you thought about the kind of snow, the type? I have and I offer you a typology of the snow I've observed over the last couple of weeks.

Whenever we get snow in London I feel terribly pleased and privileged since it's such a comparatively rare occurrence. I've always loved snow - I love the changing seasons so how can I not love snow? It not only transforms the urban landscape but it transforms me into a big kid. I'm pleased it does since I'd be terribly saddened if I lost my simple wonder in the white stuff coating the world every now and then.

Over the last couple of weeks I've identified three different kinds of snow:

- Worker snow - that bravely determined snow that will lay down a basic layer of snow that other flakes can build on. It usually comes down in a relentless flurry, heading from sky to ground to coat the wet ground in a basic covering and making it easier for colleague snow to then build up.

- Giddy snow - the kind of snow that can't make up it's mind where to lie - shall I lie here or there? It's generally quite plump and flits from one side of your vision to another, being indecisive where it'll fall, first this way and then that. Once it lies it builds up the depth in any particular pile of snow and helps with that "crump crump" sound when you walk on it.

- Random snow - that's what we've had over the last week, randoms floating down around  with no particular purpose other then to make you think it's snowing when it's not really doing anything. Randoms can be quite fun since they appear out of nowhere and vanish. They don't lie on the ground but they entertain you watching them float around.

There are, of course, other types of snow, but these are the three I've identified and catalogued this year.

No comments: