Friday 2 November 2012

Viv Albertine - 'The Vermillion Border'

I am delighted to tell you that Viv Albertine's first solo album will be available on 5 November. 'The Vermillion Border' has been made available to her PledgeMusic backers (such as me) as a download for the last few days and, today, I received the hard copy along with the booklet of lyrics. It is fab! And even better, Viv sends her love to me on the back of the CD (which is replicated, Viv).

It kicks off with 'I Want More' with a riff to peel your face off as Viv sings, 'No compromise, I want more!'. It's followed by 'Confessions of a MILF' and the tales of the little wife in her home sweet home. Viv adds notes to each song in the booklet and tells us that the song was recorded in Mick Jone's mobile studio. Jack Bruce joins her on 'In Vitro' with a relentless bass line thrumming away under and over her vocals. Other guest bassists include Tina Weymouth, Glen Matlock and Dennis Bovell, all of whom I've seen play live. And, of course, Dennis produced The Slit's first album, so they've got shared history.

Viv has a lovely way with words and I love the start of 'Hookup Girl' that opens with, 'In another town You would be a whore, But in North London You are just a bore'. 'Don't Believe' contrasts the things Viv believes in and doesn't believe in, from love to trilobites (how often do you see that word in song lyrics?). 'Still England' closes the record and lists all the things that make England the place it is.

I was delighted to hear Poly Styrene name-checked in 'Still England'. Viv knew Poly and it's lovely to see her include Poly in her list of iconic Englanders, along with Virginia Woolf, Dusty Springfield, Keith and Mick, The Kinks and T.Rex. She also includes,' Sid The Vicious, John The Rotten, Alfred The Great, Dot The Cotton'.

In one sense, this is exactly the kind of record you'd expect from Viv - post-punk for the 21st century, jagged guitar, challenging, no-prisoners, looking back and forwards at the same time. In other words, a classic album. It is art in a real sense. I also like the attention to detail in the booklet in which every 'v' is coloured vermillion. Give the record a listen and download it - even better, get a proper copy with the booklet. Riffs to scrape your face off and words to make you smile. You won't be disappointed.

And I want to know when I can see and hear these songs played live... I want more!

No comments: