Sunday 4 March 2012

Julian Ovenden - 'If You Stay'

Last night I was reminded of Julian Ovenden in the marvellous 'Grand Hotel' (see below) and said he should sing more and this morning I go browsing and find he has a record out in a few weeks time. I think the gods of music are telling me something.

Julian's first album, 'If You Stay', will be released on Decca on 9 April. I haven't seen a tracklisting yet but there are two videos on YouTube that give at a hint at the style of music - a full video for 'If You Go Away' and a short teaser video for 'You Make Me So Very Happy' (written by the lovely Holloway sisters). That suggests we're looking at standards.

Even stranger, it seems that Julian performed at the Jazz Cafe on 5 February this year. There are two videos of him on YouTube showing him singing on that small stage surrounded by a band. I didn't know anything about that but assume that was the start of building him up as a singer. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for any more live shows.

Anyway, here is the video for 'If You Go Away' filmed in an autumnal London. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

thanks for this, I heart Mr Ovenden.