Wednesday 7 December 2011

Christmas Miracle #1 - SLADE!

I've had my own small Christmas miracle today. Next week I'm seeing 75% of original SLADE, sadly, not all together on the same stage, but I don't mind, at least I'm seeing three of 'em!

SLADE were my first heroes. They bestrode the world of pop music like mighty gods of yore in the early '70s, brash and loud, in your face and great fun. Noddy and Jim wrote the songs, Dave provided the spectacle and Don pounded away at the back of the stage. They kept going until 1991 and since then Dave and Don have continued to tour as Slade, mainly in Europe, with new band members, Noddy has done acting and presenting and Jim has surfaced a few times with new music, most recently under his real name of James Whild Lea. I've seen Dave and Don play live a couple of times in the last few years and I've seen Nod on telly but not in real life, and not seen Jim at all.

The last time I saw SLADE was in 1980 or 1981 at the students union in Cardiff. The abiding memory from that gig was afterwards, when I helped the roadies load the kit onto the lorry, and Dave offered me a cigarette - a Benson & Hedges - and I nervously said 'no thanks'. How on earth could I accept a tab from a god? I would've self-combusted when I lit it. I didn't meet Noddy though.

So, next week I have tickets to see Noddy Holder - sorry, *Sir* Noddy Holder as he should be - at Union Chapel on 14 December when he takes the part of the narrator to a new version of 'A Christmas Carol' updated and set in the world of the music business. It sounds like fun and will be filled with Christmas songs so I'll be happy. I doubt that Noddy will sing, but who knows?

Then at the weekend I'm seeing Dave and Don's Slade at Koko on 18 December. I'm looking forward to that and to singing along to 'Merry Christmas Everybody' mere days before the big event itself.

Now all I need is to somehow get Jim Lea back onto a stage before Christmas ...

Miracles *can* happen. Believe, people, believe.

No comments: