Thursday 13 October 2011

'The Killing Of Sister George' at The Arts Theatre

The other night we went to see 'The Killing Of Sister George' at the sweatbox that is the Arts Theatre, a theatre I didn't even know existed until recently despite having walked past it many times. I'm aware of the film with Beryl Reid in the title role but I wanted to see what Meera Syal would make of the part. I was deeply impressed with Meera as Shirley Valentine at the Choccy Factory last year.

The set was a bit of a talking point while waiting for the play to start, with a big wireless speaker (that is wireless as in radio, not as in Internet) covering the stage, with the furniture of George's flat at the front. The decor made me thing 1950s rather than 1960s and I'm not sure whether that was a mistake or deliberate.

Sister George is a character in a radio series who is about to be killed off to try to boost ratings. We pick up the story when George (played by Meera) finds out the news until after the programme is broadcast about the characters' funeral and she's offered the role of a cow in a children's series. There are only four characters in the play, all female, George, her girlfriend Alice (Childy), her downstairs neighbour (played by Helen Lederer) and the proper Mrs Croft from the BBC. It's not so much a play about lesbians as about the desperation of people being forced out of their comfort zone.

The play seemed terribly dated in places and full of stereotypes, with George sitting with legs wide open as the butch one and Alice in girly-girly mode, playing with dolls or putting on a teenagers voice and actions. I couldn't quite imagine them living together for six years or so without killing each other. George perpetually poured herself glasses of gin and Alice made pots of tea while their world collapsed around them.

I can't quite put my finger on it but I didn't really enjoy the production. It was lovely to see Meera again, but I suspect I'll enjoy seeing her more as Beatrice in 'Measure for Measure' (I'm looking forward to a powerful Beatrice).

No comments: