Thursday 2 June 2011

Some Thoughts On Poly Styrene

On my way to work this morning I decided I needed something to listen to that would be an upper and get me ready for a challenging day so I listened to 'Generation Indigo' by Poly Styrene. I love that record and have done so since I first listened to it the day it was released and I was in New York - I was travelling back to London the next day but I had to download it straight away rather than wait. I think I listened to it four times on the flight back to London and I've listened to it lots of times since. I've also bought the limited edition and standard records just for good measure.

I listened to the album this morning on shuffle so I didn't know which song would pop up next but when 'Electric Blue Monsoon' played my eyes misted over for a moment, just a moment, as I thought of Poly. Weeks after the death of her body and I still react to Poly, I welcome every new photo of her that's been added to the Facebook page (and so many are emerging that weren't available online before) and read the various reminiscences from people who knew her or met her.

I never met Poly. I would have loved to, but I didn't. Well, I say that, but I always shy away from meeting my heroes - I'm not worthy, other people are waiting to talk to them, I'm boring, etc etc. There's always a reason for not meeting. I'm sure some fans turned up to her funeral - it would've been easy enough to guess the location - but I wouldn't. The people at the funeral saying a last farewell should know her as Marianne, not as Poly. To me she is Poly.

And do you know what the annoying thing is? I could've met Poly. I had her home address and could easily have got in touch, we could've corresponded and maybe met for a cup of tea when she was in town. That could so easily have happened but it didn't.

I ordered 'Flower Aeroplane' through the website a few years ago and Poly put the return address on the back of the padded envelope in case of any delivery problems. As soon as I saw it was from Hastings I knew what I had - the address of one of my heroes. I toyed with the idea of sending a birthday card or a note but decided that might seem a bit creepy, a bit fanboy, but who knows where something like that might lead? We could've gone to the Krishna restaurant off Soho Square (to which I really must go).

On the way home this evening I listened to some of Gil Scott-Heron's last album, a powerful and heady mix of poetry and music. He died a couple of weeks ago but rather than thinking about him, he focused me even more on Poly and the loss she leaves in so many lives. Perhaps because, as I've already said, she was a hero of mine, just a couple of years older than me but she was on Top of the Pops when that meant something. She wrote and sang songs that resonated to my generation way back then and have echoes to others throughout the intervening years. Some of the write-ups have stressed that without Poly 30 years ago there wouldn't be a Lady Gaga today. Personally, I'd rather not link Poly to Gaga - Poly is fire and ice and Gaga is a yogurt.

I suppose what I'm really thinking about is how Poly's memory and work can continue to inspire and energise people even though she's no longer around. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Pete said...

Well written Owen and pretty much how I felt and still do feel. Despite what many people I've met may think, I'm a very shy, nervous type. Part of my war against this is to put myself in positions which can be uncomfortable...I will never give in to it. Whilst I never met Poly either I have often met others who have some level of celebrity. Whenever I have done this I have often felt so happy that I have done it. Only once, when I met Lydia Lunch, did I regret the meeting. Everyone else I've met has been genuinely lovely and thank yous have been mutual. As fans we can profess to say, at least of songwriters, we know the person at least a tiny degree. Whilst I never met Poly, through her lyrics and interviews and attitude, I am 100% sure that she would have welcomed a cup of tea, an intelligent conversation, a laugh, anything positive from any fan who understood her purpose on this planet. And so I think that is why and how Poly can still affect and influence us, musicians, friends and of course family. Positivity is key here. When someone passes from this world into the next, we, who are left behind, have a desire to perpetuate their teachings...it's a way of dealing with the loss, a means of keeping that person with us in some way. Poly taught us a lot...she came from a movement which, although exciting, was pretty negative. Poly wanted to affect changes through positive actions. Many a music critic would be stupid enough to place her alongside many of her punk "peers"...that must have upset her. For me, I think of how Poly got to sing on TOTP, she became a well known name in music, she removed herself from the scene and fell in love with love, she came back and created something fresh and challenging. She never sold out. There are many lessons to be learned in this life but love is the greatest lesson of all. Poly clearly had an abundance of this magical stuff and I'm sure that is why she will be remembered...no sane person wants to pick up the legacy of destruction as such things are always set to topple. Far better to continue the good work.
I wish Poly was here to fully install her Generation Indigo...but she will be watching over us to see we are doing our bit. I think, when we meet, a cup of tea will be waiting for us.