Sunday 5 December 2010

The Polite Snowman

It is with deep sadness that I report the demise of The Polite Snowman. No, not the thawing of the snow, but rather the absence of the snowman from the Christmas lights on Streatham High Road. For the last few years, The Polite Snowman stood at the top of streetlights flashing on an off and, whenever I passed, would raise his hat. He was a very polite and gentlemanly Snowman. I say 'was' because it seems he is no more.

The Christmas lights were switched on yesterday so I wandered through the slush and ice up to the High Road to see Santa outside the Odeon cinema along with (for some reason) a stilt-woman, a fire eater and a steel band. There was a goodly crowd and it's nice that we still make a bit of a fuss about Christmas. Lambeth is clearly cutting things though, since the lights only seem to go from Streatham Hill Station to the Odeon rather than continue down to St Leonards and beyond which they usually do, and the lights seem to be more spaced out which means fewer of them, but at least they're there. There's no sign of Christmas trees yet, but there's still time.

But I mourn the passing of The Polite Snowman - he always brought a smile and a twinkle to my eye. I will keep watching out for him since you never know, he may well appear by himself as a result of the magic of Christmas ... I believe.

No comments: