Friday 22 October 2010

Ari Up

I can't let today pass without recording the death of Ari Up of The Slits. I remember taping The Slits first John Peel session back in the '70s and playing 'Typical Girl', 'Shoplifting' and 'New Town' endlessly - they still bring a warm fuzzy glow of listening to the radio in my bedroom and thinking that these girls were the same age as me and they were up there doing something. Arianna was a couple of years younger than me so it's sad to realise she's gone.

'Cut' is their classic album but I like the EP that the rejuvenated Slits released a few years ago, 'Revenge Of The Killer Slits', and the latest album, 'Trapped Animal'. I am now, of course, kicking myself for not seeing The Slits last year when they were on tour, but they will always have a place in my punk heart.

Farewell Arianna and give 'em hell wherever you are - you never were a typical girl.

No comments: