Wednesday 18 July 2007

An Adventure In A New Tie

I had my big adventure yesterday when I attended the launch of the Parent Know-How Innovation Fund at Vinopolis round the corner from London Bridge station. Hardly an adventure for most readers, I know, and it is part of my job, but it was an adventure for me. Wearing proper trousers and shoes for the first time in six weeks, wearing my colourful new tie (a leaving present from my last job - see below), not to mention a suit (of course), it was almost like old times. And, of course, no wine or alcohol was involved even though it was at Vinopolis - we do have standards, y'know.

I got there ok, no problems with stairs or anything but the problem was my wound - the scar straddles the waistband of my trousers which were rubbing against it every time I moved. What began as discomfort moved onto pain as the afternoon progressed and even now, 24 hours after removing said pain-inducing garment and swallowing various potions, my wound is still sore. When will they make suits with elasticated trouser waistbands?

After a couple of hours I could feel the waves of tiredness beginning again and the annoying thing of losing my train of thought and forgetting what word comes next in a sentence so I said my goodbyes and headed back home, bone-weary by the time I got through the front door. It was nice seeing colleagues again and meeting the new minister for the first time, but I must do something about my stamina and getting tired so quickly. And that forgetful, mind-block thing is a bit worrying. It's happened a few times now in the extremes of tiredness. Maybe it's the pills?

And after waking up this morning all bright-eyed and bushy-wotsit I've spent the afternoon asleep. Now, what's that all about? I should be getting better by now, not still falling asleep everytime I take a long blink. O well.

No comments: