Tuesday 29 December 2020

'Remembering A Brave New World' by Chila Kumari Singh Burman

 'Remembering A Brave New World' is a new installation at Tate Britain, part inside, mainly outside on the steps. It was created by Chila Kumari Singh Burman and it is fabulous. I saw it in daylight on my last visit to Tate Britain but I bet it looks more amazing in the dark. 

It starts in the old main foyer of the Tate with a decorated tuk-tuk ice-cream van surrounded by neon tubes. I'd forgotten about the new installation so stumbling across this on my way out made me smile. Then opened the door to see all the neon covering the steps and front of the building and couldn't help a little laugh at the joy of the whole thing. It really is joyful and I'm so pleased I started seeing the installation with the little tuk-tuk in the foyer.  


It was such fun walking down those steps, past the stalking tiger and around the neon tuk-tuk to get to the bottom and then turn to look at the whole thing. It's an Anglo-Indian dream, with Hindu symbols and images and English neon writing. Britannia is depicted as Kali and the mythologies of the two countries transposed in neon. It's fun, it's exciting, it's exhilarating, I fell in love with the tiger at first sight and with the various apsaras floating about singing about joy. I couldn't help but notice that Lord Ganesha was floating remarkably close to the ice-cream tuk-tuk. I can only assume that he is partial to an ice-cream or two.



I liked the details of the piece, that the columns were wrapped in scenes of the deities and that the backs of the steps were covered in flowers symbols that pull the eye upwards. That's what pulls the piece together into a whole so it's not just a collection of random neon images. 

The sign tells us that the installation was inspired by Hindu deities, Bollywood, British colonialism, and a childhood trip to Blackpool to see the famous illuminations. The sign ends with the statement that, 'Burman wishes you a happy Diwali, the Festival of Light. it is a celebration of new beginnings, the triumph of good over evil, light over darkness. Remembering a brave new world takes inspiration from the luminous struggles and victories of the past to offer hope for a brighter future.' Excellent words for our current situation.

As well as neon images there are also neon words all over the piece. The title runs along the top of the building in purple neon with other words like 'Love', 'Shine Light', 'Dream', 'Truth', Joy', all powerful words of hope. The ice-cream tuk-tuk is inscribed with her family name and 'Do you like ice cream?', 'We are here coz you were here', 'Free' and 'On tour'. Who could resist free ice cream?  


Needless to say I loved it - what's not to love with all that neon, playful images, inspirational words and so much sheer joy. It's the best winter commission that Tate Britain has had in years and this is what we need right now. I had a silly grin on my face the whole time I was exploring it with the others socially distanced round the bottom of the steps smiling and taking photos. I must try to see it again before it goes, preferably at dusk, I think. 

A few more photos:




No comments: