Saturday 24 August 2013

"Did you write the book of love?"

The other morning as I got into the shower a song came on the radio that I haven't heard in many years, I have no idea how many years, but many many years at least. And I found myself singing along to it, virtually word perfect even though I never bought that record at the time. I thought, 'how odd'.

This morning I went onto YouTube to look for it and listen again and heard the long version of the song, quite probably for the first time ever. I, of course, prefer the single version. But it also reminded me that someone else sung that song, a lot more recently, so I had to watch her video as well.

It's strange how some songs ease into the brain and stay in the memory. I couldn't have recited any of the lyrics or the tune without hearing it start to play on the radio but as soon as it started I knew the words and music. Why is that? Obviously, it was played to death in 1971-72 when it was a big hit and back then when I was an impressionable pre-teen and there was still space in my brain for things like song lyrics and music, it obviously found a spot and stayed there quietly until I got into the shower the other day.

It's not like there's a straight narrative to follow in the lyrics or anything, but there's something about it that is memorable. If I knew what it was I'd bottle it and get rich.

Looking in my iTunes library I'm astonished to see that I have another version of the song - well, just the introduction really in 1:40 minutes - a live version by Mott The Hoople. Stranger and stranger. How many versions of this song are out there?

I can't find any videos of Don McLean singing the single version of his signature tune so here is Madonna dancing in front of a flag with little vignettes of American life. You know the song - 'American Pie'.

No comments: