Sunday 2 June 2013

A Short Buffy Blog (with photos and videos and memories)

It's too long since I've posted anything about Buffy Sainte-Marie so here are two great photos of Buffy on stage. I wish I'd taken both of them. I've yet to take what I consider to be a good photo of Buffy on stage but one of my photos from her Union Chapel gig a couple of years ago was once used in her blog. I was, naturally, thrilled.


I've had the privilege of seeing Buffy play live more times than I ever thought possible and I've met her after most of the gigs. I first saw her in Canada in 2005 and since then seen her play in New York, London and Gateshead. A particular delight was getting an email from Buffy telling me she'd put me on the guest list for her gig at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in 2012 as part of the Meltdown festival.

She has a hard rocking band around her who, when not playing with Buffy, go by the name of Bruthers Of Different Muthers (take a listen to their album, 'Speakers of Tomorrow'). They travel the world with Buffy and I like to think they look after her (not that she needs looking after).


Buffy plays live again next week with her band as part of the Congress 2013 festival at the University of Victoria in Canada. It's a free gig so if you're in the area pop along. She'll also be delivering a lecture about her Cradleboard teaching project. 

Buffy was inducted into the Dreamspeakers Walk of Fame yesterday and there's a video of her speaking and leaving her handprints in concrete (or not). It's the first time I've heard her talk about being in 'The Virginian' in the late '60s (a favourite series in our house at the time) and talking about Jay Silverheels who played Tonto in 'The Lone Ranger'. Take a look:


And, because I'm in the mood, here's a video of Buffy singing 'Cho Cho Fire' from her latest album, 'Running For The Drum'. Enjoy!


Migwich, Buffy!

No comments: