Thursday 28 March 2013

Poems On The Underground 150 - Chi Chi Prelude

I've mentioned the Poems on the Underground series a few times in this blog. I like stepping onto a Tube train, ideally getting a seat and glancing at the various adverts around the carriage before ignoring everything by getting out a book and listening to music. The Poems on the Underground posters change that routine and make me read the poetry thrust at me in ordinary life. It usually makes me think as I read and re-read on the journey around London and my book stays in my bag.

This morning I got on the District Line to St James's Park, looked above the door and there was a new poem that I hadn't seen before so I read it. It has the glorious title of 'Bam Chi Chi La La London, 1969' and is by Lorna Goodison. It's part of the new series of poems chosen for the 150th anniversary of the London Underground. I don't know who or how the poems are chosen but this is an inspired choice.

Read the poem. Read it twice and savour the words, then think about it:

In Jamaica she was a teacher. Here she is a charwoman
at night in the West End. She eats a cold midnight meal
carried from home and is careful to expunge her spice
trail with Dettol. She sings 'Jerusalem' to herself and
recites the Romantic poets as she mops hallways and 
scours toilets, dreaming the while of her retirement
mansion in Mandeville she is building brick by brick.

The first line sets the scene and we follow her careful journey, never losing her love of poetry as she mops floors and recites poems to herself. I suspect many people reading this will recognise the reality behind these words. This could be the story of so many people who come to London to fulfil dreams or escape harsh realities. It's partly what makes London the great city it is.

Can you recite any of the Romantic poets?

Another poem I've noticed on the Tube is by Mr Wordsworth (such a great name for a poet) and is an extract from his very long poem, 'The Prelude'. I remember having an enormous copy of 'The Prelude' full of notes and additional reading many years ago. I last read it in 1982 so can't claim to remember any of it but it's nice to see a quote from William that doesn't involve daffodils or the Lake District.


The River proudly bridged, the giddy top
                              And Whispering Gallery of St. Paul’s, the Tombs
Of Westminster, the Giants of Guildhall;
Bedlam, and the two maniacs at its gates,
Streets without end, and churches numberless,
Statues with flowery gardens in vast squares,
The Monument, and armoury of the Tower.

It's a different side of London to the experience outlined in 'Bam Chi Chi La La' but just as valid. It's the view of a young man with sufficient money to visit London in the late 1700s and glory in it's diversity. That diversity continued to grow and still continues to the benefit of us all.

There are another four poems in the latest series so I'll have to keep my eyes open for them.

No comments: