Sunday 9 December 2012

Invasion of The Polite Snowmen

If you look anywhere in this blog in December you'll see that I'm a card-carrying Christmas-oholic. I like seeing the Christmas lights around London and, closer to home, on Streatham High Road. They're always a bit cheap and cheerful but I like them. I always watch out for The Polite Snowman standing high up a lamp-post with his big smile and polite manners. I call him The Polite Snowman because he raises his hat whenever I approach and then pops it back down on his head. He may well do the same to you.

The Streatham lights were put up a few days before they were switched on and I was delighted to see The Polite Snowman outside the Horse and Groom pub as I walked home from the station after work. Good, he's back, I thought. The first evening after the lights were switched on, I came out of the station and turned right and there, in the distance, I could see him shining away and raising his hat - what a polite snowman he is.

And then it happened. I realised there were two Polite Snowmen! Cor, The Polite Snowman has brought one of his cousins to Streatham. I, naturally, raised my cap and said, 'Good evening Mr Snowman' as I walked underneath his cousin and then again under the original Polite Snowman. I'll get a chilly head in this cold weather but I must be polite in return to the Snowmen. After all, the Snowmen bring the snow.

Walking further down the High Road and, as I glanced on down the road at St Leonard's, what did I see? No less than two more Polite Snowmen beside Streatham Green, more cousins joining The Polite Snowman for Christmas. I couldn't help but break out into a big silly grin. I wonder if that means we'll get even more snow?

And here he is, The Polite Snowman being polite:

No comments: