Friday 31 August 2012

Beverley Knight - 'I Am What I Am'

If you didn't see the Paralympics Opening Ceremony then, firstly, shame on you, and secondly, you need to see this - Bevereley Knight's amazing version of 'I Am What I Am'. Trust Bev to bring a new reading to this song, previously Harvey Fierstein's gay anthem from 'La Cage Aux Folles' and now a disability rights anthem as well. "I am somebody, I am what I am" resounds through the Olympic Stadium.

I was proud of Bev who, given the closing segment of the Opening Ceremony, had to bring it in on the right note and she did so. Ever the consummate professional, Bev knows how to work a crowd and she did this on a mammoth scale in the Stadium. I've seen her play live lots of times and she can be guaranteed to deliver the goods and she means it. She showed that in the Stadium. Take a look for yourself:



The song is available for download on iTunes and I did so straight away this morning. I've played it multiple times. Part of me wanted it to turn into a disco stomper after the slow start but I'm pleased it didn't. Bev judged it just right and played on the chorus to take it forward with her voice keeping it all together.

Thank you Bev, you were an inspired choice for closing the show. I'll enjoy seeing where this takes you. Sing out, lass!

No comments: