Monday 16 July 2012

London 2012 Olympic Songs

With less than two weeks until the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games there seem to be two main pop songs in contention to grab our attention and become part of our memories of the greatest show on earth.  The 'official' song is 'Survival' by Muse and the challengers are the Pet Shop Boys with 'Winner'. I'm not sure if it's a generational thing or a pop sensibilities thing, but I prefer the humanity of the PSB song. It works on a more human and inclusive level.

The Muse song has a great video of sporting achievement and builds as the song builds but I'm not terribly keen on the overall sound or sentiment of the thing. I think 'bombast' when I hear it and think of the prog rock of the '70s. The lyrics are very 'me generation' from the '80s - *I* will survive, *I'm* gonna win'. Very Thatcher. Whereas the PSB song is inclusive and says, 'I'm a winner, you're a winner' and tells the tale of an athlete working up to the Olympics and how we're all winners. It's more in tune with the original sentiment of the Olympics, that's it's about competing, not winning..

Here are both videos so you can make your own mind up.



No comments: