Thursday 5 January 2012

Official Photographer To A Legend

Imagine my surprise when, scrolling through Facebook updates after a long day at work, I came across a photo I recognised. I thought, hang on a moment, isn't that one of *my* photographs? I clicked on the link and took a look at the photo, then looked at my pictures folder on the laptop and yes, it was mine. It was a photo of Buffy Sainte-Marie from her gig at the Union Chapel in London on 30 June 2011 and it was used in Buffy's blog! Now, I've no idea whether Buffy looks after her own blog or whether there are 'people' for that and I don't really care - I take it as official endorsement and shall now consider myself to be Buffy's official (London) photographer.

Buffy's blogpost reproduces an article from 'The Guardian' a few years ago (click here) and ends with my photo of her from last year. I originally published that photo in my blog about Buffy's Union Chapel gig last year (click here). And here is the photo:

I have to say that I've never been satisfied with any of the photos I've taken of Buffy in concert. I always wish I'd taken them a second earlier or two seconds later, or when the spotlight was one her or a thousand other things. I have a couple of very nice ones of me being the fanboy and posing with Buffy but I'm not publishing those anywhere, they're *mine*.

One day I *will* take a good photo of Buffy on stage. She's playing the Highline Ballroom in New York next week and I'm now kicking myself that I didn't book time off to go there. I saw Buffy play there in 2008 (click here) before 'Running For The Drum' was released. One day, o yes, one day ...

No comments: