Sunday 13 June 2010

Hawkwind - 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm'

I've given in to the space-rock gods that are Hawkwind, a band I never listened to in the '70s (other than for 'Silver Machine', obviously) but my ears now find their music quite pleasing (or at least some of it).

One of my favourite songs of theirs that I've discovered this weekend is 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' that sees the band in mid/late-70s pop mode and this could've been done by one of the emerging power-pop or punky bands. The first verse tells us that Einstein wasn't a handsome fellow and he probably never had a girl, and then goes on to tell us about Galileo, so they were still in a future/space place even though this is pop.

I've chosen this clip to post even though the sound and quality is poor because it's taken from 'Marc' - yes, Marc Bolan's tea-time pop show in 1977 and Marc introduces the band as his 'best friends'. Go on, take a look!

No comments: