Friday 5 June 2009

'Goodnight Jim Bob' by Jim Bob

I've been reading 'Goodnight Jim Bob', subtitled, 'On The Road With Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine' by Jim Bob, aka Jim Morrison (not the Doors one, the Carter USM one). And it gives you what it says on the front, the tales of the road with Carter, not about being in the studio or anywhere else. It's drawn from Jim Bob's diary from the late '80s to late '90s and includes a list of virtually every gig they played.

There are no tales of sex or drugs, but lots of stories about alcoholic excess and being drunk, amazing gigs and god-awful gigs, bed and breakfasts to posh hotels, meeting stars and being stars. We're regaled with stories about travelling around Europe and America, festival washouts, physical injuries, frustrations and joys.

It's a jolly good read and if you like Carter USM then it's a must. Jim Bob instantly won me over with his references to Streatham and meeting Fruitbat for the first time in what became a carpark under the old Safeways supermarket beside Streatham Station. And the revelation that the band broke up over a cup of coffee at the Rookery on Streatham Common. I like it when books get local. I remain astonished that he's the same age as me and lives a couple of miles away from me.

Jim Bob has a great way with words and a nice writing style, the book is full of wit and puns, just like his Carter songs. Speaking of which, I'd be happy to read more by Jim Bob and, now that I know they exist, I'm going to explore his post-Carter records of which there seem to have been lots. Got to support a local boy made good.

No comments: