Monday 17 September 2012

SLADE aren't just for Christmas, but ...

Sorry to mention Christmas so early in the year but a very special Christmas present is being planned for all SLADE fans. No, not the fabled reunion (which *will* happen one day, I have faith) but a night devoted to SLADE on BBC4 just before Christmas.

The special night will include the 'It's SLADE' documentary, 'SLADE in Flame' (often referred to as one of the best rock films ever made) and a special 'SLADE at the BBC' programme. This will feature archive performances not seen in full on UK television since they were originally broadcast and, I'm reliably informed, will include a missing performance of 'Coz I Luv You' from Top Of The Pops that has never been seen before. Might I say 'cor!'?  'Coz I Luv You' was the first SLADE single I bought back in 1971 and I still have it.

Last Christmas I was lucky enough to see three quarters of SLADE - Sir Noddy Holder at Union Chapel narrating 'A Christmas Carol' and Dave and Don with their version of Slade at Koko (will the DVD of that show ever be issued?). Sadly, I haven't seen Jim Lea since about 1981 but there's time yet.

I was also lucky to see Noddy compere the Marc Bolan 35th Anniversary Concert on Saturday night (blog to follow about that) and he's looking good. I *think* he even sang along to 'Hot Love' at the end of the show. And his was the final voice of the evening when he shouted out his trademarked 'Keep on rocking!' at the top of his voice. We will, Noddy, we will!


No comments: